Re: Scratch buffer annoyance

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Scratch buffer annoyance
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 23:28:31 +0200

>     > - automatically saving *scratch* in a place other than ~/ (where it is
>     > out of the way) via auto-save and before exiting Emacs, without any
>     > user interaction
>
>     That it doesn't work when one has more than one Emacs active at one
>     time.  It is not like we have not been through that already.
>
> It is easy to solve that by making the file name depend on the pid
> and host name.

Which will make those buffers survive into the next session just how?

> The code for reloading previous scratch buffers files will need to
> take a certain amount of care to DTRT when there is more than one.
> Including perhaps sometimes asking the user questions -- but we want
> to try to avoid that if we can.

I think this is a mess asking for trouble.  We are trying to patch
around a problem that comes from some default usage pattern for
single-mode single-session applications.  Emacs with its multiple
major modes and kitchen-sink usefulness is just not suited to this
paradigm.