Re: Abbrev should preserve case

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Abbrev should preserve case
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 13:51:45 -0400

>     Agreed.  But it has since been (ab)used for things like skeletons in
>     programming modes where typing "case SPC" would expand to

>        case  in
>          *) ;;
>        esac

>     for those kinds of uses, the capitalization footwork of abbrev.el is
>     rather harmful.

> In practice, how is it harmful?

Usually, not too severe.

> You would get undesirable results if you enter `CASE' or `Case', but that
> problem is easy to avoid: enter `case' instead.

I'm not sure I understand the question: of course we know how to avoid the
problem.  And we know that it's really harmful if you happen to have
variable names such as Case or CASE or cAse.

I do not want to change the default case-insensitivity of abbrevs, but
I think it'd be worthwhile to be able to specify some case-sensitive abbrevs
as well.

        Stefan