Re: Disabling ATSUI on OS X

From: Julian Scheid
Subject: Re: Disabling ATSUI on OS X
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 23:34:51 +1000

Miles Bader wrote:
> With freetype that setting yields extremely "crisp" results without
> actually turning off antialiasing: it essentially aligns all
> horizontal/vertical lines to pixel boundaries (and tries to make
> their width an integer multiple) but uses subtle anti-aliasing for
> rounded parts and diagonal lines; it's far superior to just turning
> off anti-aliasing altogether in freetype, and is my preferred
> setting when using a LCD.

Sorry, I didn't address this part of your reply. There is a
corresponding setting in OS X, "Font smoothing style", that appears to
do something similar.  And maybe it's just me, but when it comes to
editing text with fixed-size fonts I'd rather go with no anti-aliasing
at all.  I'm not asking for changing any defaults, it would just be
nice to have the option.

Julian