Re: address@hidden: file-remote-p malfunctions at site-start (file-name-

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: address@hidden: file-remote-p malfunctions at site-start (file-name-handler-alist init)]
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 00:40:25 -0400

> If a site-start.el file is created with the following contents:
>
> (print file-name-handler-alist)
> (print (file-remote-p "/ssh:address@hidden:/home/dreitter/test2"))
>
> the output of the last expression is nil for me.
> It should (correctly) be non-nil.
>
> The reason for that is that `file-name-handler-alist' does not
> contain handlers for tramp file names when the site-start file is
> loaded - at a later point, the appropriate handlers are added.

This could conceivably be achieved by moving
tramp-register-file-name-handlers from after-init-hook to
before-init-hook.  On the other hand, the risk of making a change to
the init sequence at this stage probably outweighs the marginal
benefit; I don't think the above is a very common scenario.

What do people think?