Re: Connection to emacs CVS broken ?

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Connection to emacs CVS broken ?
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 16:17:52 +0100

Glenn Morris <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup wrote:
>
>> Wait until the replacement shipment for Savanna arrives.  Does anybody
>> have an idea yet whether some checkins might have been lost?
>
> Apparently: "Last confirmed full backup was completed circa 20:30 EDT
> on Sunday 11 March".
>
> (this info from #savannah on irc.gnu.org)

Perhaps Miles' Arch repository is more recent ?

But what happens if the repository must be restored from
an older backup and I then perform a cvs update?

To cvs, it will probably look like the newest commits have
been forcefully deleted.

So will cvs just mark files with never changes as modified here,
revert those changes, or get confused in some other way??

In any case, someone with an up-to-date local copy
need to take charge to install newer commits into the
repository -- being careful not to commit local changes
if such are present...

And being very careful NOT to do a cvs update which could
delete the newer changes...

Perhaps doing a "tar cvzf ..."  _right now_ before the cvs repository
is back online would be a good thing, just to preserve the "mostly
up-to-date" version you have, in case we need it to recover newer
changes.