Re: diff-apply-hunk documentation doesn't match implementation

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: diff-apply-hunk documentation doesn't match implementation
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 10:36:57 -0400

>> In your case, the patch specifies two files which diff-mode can both find,
>> yet, the patch is not between those two files (at least in your test case,
>> the two files are just the same, presumably one being a "working tree" and
>> the other being basically unrelated).

> The patch is relative to an older version of the file, my intention was to
> find out which parts of it have already been applied, and apply those that
> aren't (and some hunks need editing to apply, so I couldn't just ignore
> the rejects).

So, there was fundamentally only 1 file, right?
It just so happened that diff-mode found 2 different matching files (one for
the "old" and one for the "new"), but it was unintended?

>> Is your test case very representative, or are there many other different
>> cases where you bump into the same problem?

> It's actually the first time I used that feature.  For me this behaviour
> was very confusing, even before I read the doc string of diff-apply-hunk.
> Especially more so because it also automatically moves forward so that the
> effect is not immediately visible.

I'm not sure what you mean by "this behaviour".  I guess the confusing
behavior is mostly the inconsistency between diff-goto-source and
diff-apply-hook, is that right?

        Stefan