Re: report-emacs-bug and *mail* buffer.

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: report-emacs-bug and *mail* buffer.
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 15:18:07 -0400

    >     =2D message-user-agent, which calls `message-mail', ignores its
    >     SWITCH-FUNCTION and CONTINUE args and always open a new buffer.

    > Isn't that a bug?  Shouldn't message-mail obey these arguments?

    We will have to implement them in Gnus if those arguments are
    really required,

Please make them work.  It does not have to be done right now,
though.

                     although I think it doesn't solve the problem
    that `sendmail-user-agent' overrides an existing *mail* buffer.

I am not sure what that means, or whether it is really a problem,
but it is certainly a different issue.  If you want to raise it,
please send a bug report about it.

    IMHO, implementing SWITCH-FUNCTION is regression.  Because, in
    the case that `mail-user-agent' is `gnus-user-agent', we can use
    the `gnus-buffer-configuration' feature to customize how to pop
    to a mail buffer up variously.

Those features are fine, for when the caller has no preference,
but if the caller specifies a particular method, Gnus should
not just ignore it.

      For CONTINUE, it is hard to me
    to imagine the situation where I want to use an existing *mail*
    buffer in order to compose a new mail.

CONTINUE means the user has given a command to resume editing an
existing draft outgoing message.  If the user wants to "compose new
mail", he will pass nil for CONTINUE.

      Anyway, that Gnus users
    set `mail-user-agent' to `gnus-user-agent' is the best, I think.

Since I don't use Message mode or Gnus, I do not know that
message-user-agent differs from gnus-user-agent.

Does gnus-user-agent implement CONTINUE and SWITCH-FUNCTION?  If not,
the same things I said about message-user-agent apply also to
gnus-user-agent.