Re: Help: build emacs in cygwin

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Help: build emacs in cygwin
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2007 16:26:19 -0500

    >     Cygwin uses the build procedure documented in the main INSTALL file,
    >     which is correct as far as we know.
    >
    > nt/INSTALL does not say that.

    Yes, it does: it talks about a "native Windows build", which is the
    opposite of Cygwin.

That is an indirect way of saying it.  Perhaps some people won't
understand.  The more explicit the message, the less people will
misunderstand.

    Anyway, Cygwin users are used to run the usual "./configure; make"
    commands one uses on GNU/Linux to build packages.

That may be true for Cygwin users with experience.
But not for new ones.

    > nt/INSTALL does not say that.  Shouldn't it?

    I added something to say this even more clearly than we did before.

Your change made it a little clearer, but didn't say anything about
Cygwin.  I added an explicit statement about Cygwin.

When something is really important to communicate, it's a mistake to
ask whether it "should be clear the way it is".  The question to ask is,
"Can we do anything to make sure people get the message?"