Re: Creating an empty file

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: Creating an empty file
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 02:06:50 -0700

Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
On 2007-01-23 18:57, Micha?l Cadilhac <address@hidden> wrote:
Jay Belanger <address@hidden> writes:
So are you suggesting that when saving a file whose buffer has not
been changed, that Emacs should compare it to the disk file anyhow?
I had always (always=for the last 10 seconds) thought that it didn't
for efficiency reasons.
Well, the modification flag has a certain use that should be
preserved. What may be done is to add a var
`new-files-are-already-modified'.

Do we really *need* this?  The `C-x C-s' command will not save empty,
new, unmodified files.  The `C-x C-w' command will happily write empty
files though...

`C-x C-w M-p RET', but only immediately after the new file was visited
(otherwise file-name-history may have been updated by an intervening
command).

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA