Re: string-strip

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: string-strip
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 17:48:31 +0200

Andreas Roehler <address@hidden> writes:

>> But I think examples belong in the manual, not in the doc string.
>
> With regard to emacs beginners: Why not have it in
> both places?

That may be desireable, but traditionally, we almost never include
examples in the doc strings, and for a trivial function like
string-strip in particular, I don't see the need (ever).

> The manual is fine but too much for the beginner, who
> is always in a risk to get drowned (or drunk) with.

The manual is no more than 5 keystrokes away...

> Just propagate to have a second or third tutorial to ease
> the next steps of the beginners (there are some tutorials
> in the net which could be checked for that.)

Emacs 22 includes the Emacs Lisp Introduction -- a beginner should
read that before using string-strip :-)