Re: [OT] Netiquette (was: Re: asm-mode patch to allow per-file comment c

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: [OT] Netiquette (was: Re: asm-mode patch to allow per-file comment character setting from file locals)
Date: 13 Jun 2006 18:21:46 -0400

Alastair Houghton <address@hidden> writes:

> I do have a sneaking suspicion that [...]

> If you can find an instance where I haven't been polite,
> then I will happily apologise for it.

there is no real need for politeness, nor apologies.
likewise, there is no real need for sneaking suspicion.

all of these can be misrepresented, misinterpreted and
mishandled.  so by all means, make the program precise,
but don't forget to leave slack for the programmers (at
least, until you get to know them personally :-).

for example, you may think i "represent" FSF saying these
things, but i don't mind considering that over time your
conception of the association between a thing and its
name(s) will mature.  in this way, i cut you slack,
personally (FWIW, YMMV, HAND, IMHO :-).

the real need is for programmers who contribute to
emacs to get the paperwork done, if the emacs
maintainer (RMS) thinks the contribution is good,
preferably in a manner that reduces administrative
work in the future.

to make evaluating the patch easier, please repost the
latest version using "diff -c".

thi