Re: allout patch - more safe-local-variables, plus autoloads

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: allout patch - more safe-local-variables, plus autoloads
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 13:15:50 -0400

> seems to me we're heading down the road of duplicating the mechanisms
> of the custom type system, and that we should be using it.

If you check this mailing-list, you'll see that it all started with Richard
suggesting exactly that and we ended up with `safe-local-variable'.

Now, this doesn't mean it was a bad idea.  Just that you can't rely solely
on the custom type mostly because it may include unsafe values.

But, yes, maybe we could add a special predicate that basically says
"consider as safe anything that the custom type accepts".  The only problem
I can see with it is that the custom-type is typically not preloaded (even
if you place a ;;;###autoload in front of the defcustom), so we'd either
arrange for it to be preloaded or to force the corresponding package to be
autoloaded whenever the variable appears in a "Local Variables" section.

        Stefan