Re: Binding a command to the down-event of a toolbar button

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Binding a command to the down-event of a toolbar button
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2006 16:38:12 -0400

            Another interface I have seen that having a down-event would enable
is
            to execute a common action on normal clicking of the button, but if
the
            mouse button is held down for around 1 - 2 seconds, then a menu
appears
            with less common related actions.

        Can you tell us more about the graphical contexts where you've seen
this?
        Was it on buttons?  Menus?  Icons?

    Tool bar buttons. Many have a small arrow (triangle) to the lower
    right to indicate that more actions are available. Methods of getting
    to the advanced actions vary, I have seen applications where you the
    hold down mouse-1, others where you press mouse-3, and others where
    you click on the small arrow itself. All these methods result in a
    drop down menu appearing.

This sounds like a very special case.  The triangle is not a member
of the tool bar, it is a special part of the tool bar mechanism itself.

In the case where you get the menu by holding down mouse-1 on the
triangle, what happens when you just click mouse-1 there?