Re: executable-find in files.el

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: executable-find in files.el
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 01:56:43 +0300

> Cc: address@hidden
> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 15:07:36 -0400
>
> > Passing 1 as last arg of locate-file is subtly different from passing
> > file-executable-p.  I think the latter does a better job, so I think
> > executable-find should use file-executable-p.
>
> Have you read the comment you quoted?

Yes.  But since you obviously didn't read my identical comment posted
of executable-find (or perhaps you read it, but disregarded it), I
posted the same comment again.

> What do you reply to that?

Did you read my message?  That's my answer to it.

> Do you think it's more important to "do a subtly better job" or to "match
> the behavior of call-process"?

I think they should do the same.  But the original executable-find
used file-executable-p, so your change is subtly incompatible, unless
you change openp to use the same method as file-executable-p.

> In my view, the point of executable-find is to figure out whether there is
> a command that we can run.  If it tells us "I found /ssh:foo/bar/baz", but
> then call-process fails because it doesn't work through Tramp, I think it's
> a problem.

I agree.  But the solution should be to make all 3 of these do exactly
the same job in exactly the same way.