Re: gnus-emphasis-alist and strickthru

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: gnus-emphasis-alist and strickthru
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 09:28:17 +0900

On Apr 1, 2005 8:11 AM, Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:
> I have only one disagreement with it: the rule for strikethru.
>
> I've *never* seen an article where -foo- was used with the intention to
> mean that the text should be understood as being striked-through.
>
> OTOH I occasionally see some text incorrectly caught by Gnus and marked as
> strikethru, so I suggest we just drop this rule.

I agree that it's weird to see text with a line through it, and I've
never seen anybody use the dash notation with that intent.  However,
some people seem to use it for emphasis, so it might be more
reasonable to map it to italics (I think people don't really like the
/slash/ notation for italics, it's too intrusive in the plain text
form).

BTW, I wonder if anybody actually reads the <address@hidden> list...
there seems a tendency for messages there to go entirely unanswered
but be quickly taken up if you post to address@hidden or so.

-Miles
--
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.