Re: debug declaration.

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: debug declaration.
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 13:21:35 -0500

    > OTOH it's closer to what I meant by "turn it into a macro" (in the
    > comment that prompted you to look into this whole thing).  Ideally
    > define-generic-mode should (just like define-derived-mode does)
    > generate stand-alone code which does not require generic.el.

    I considered this when I started to work on generic.el, but moving all
    the code into define-generic-mode would lead to some code duplication.
    Especially generic-mode-set-comments is a bit long.

I see nothing wrong with having it load generic.el.
That file is short.  I think no further change is called for,
and it would be better to spend the time on something else.

    Maybe it's a good thing if define-generic-mode evaluated all it's
    arguments during macro expansion.

Macros should never evaluate their arguments during macro expansion.
They should always substitute them into the expansion so they will
be evaluated when the expansion is *run*.