Re: Possible change to startup.el

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Possible change to startup.el
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 01:38:15 +0200

Thien-Thi Nguyen <address@hidden> writes:

>    From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
>    Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 01:43:07 -0500
>
>    We could make that a general rule: every tutorial translation must
>    start with a sentence that translates "Emacs tutorial".
>
> sorry, i misunderstood this simple sentence and implemented the
> wrong thing (gotta slow down sometimes and be more careful).  please
> find below a revised patch that uses the first sentence of the file
> as the text for the splash screen.  unfortunately, i prematurely
> committed changes to the actual TUTORIAL files due to concerns that
> translators might not see the proposed changes.  i think it's best
> that i stick w/ the code and let Marcelo and others handle updates
> to those files. :-(

HEAD is, after all, not promised to be "release-ready" branch: our
priorities of whether to check something in or not should mostly focus
on whether this achieves the goal of getting our development done
efficiently.  Since it is not overly efficient if people are kept from
working by bugs in areas where they are not proficient, one should be
careful about checking stuff in that will break functionality.

In the case of the tutorials, however, I should think by far the most
efficient way to get this done is by just checking in a first version
and let the respective speakers of the language then simply do the
corrections in HEAD.  If some intermediate tutorial version happens to
use bad words and grammar, this does not impede development at all.
Certainly takes less developer time than hand-applying and
corroborating patches.