Re: calc version / copyright

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: calc version / copyright
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 12:36:11 +0200

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

>> Since calc is distributed with Emacs 22.x, I don't see a reason
>> to have a separate report-calc-bug function anymore.
>
> The bug reporting commands also report the settings of variables.  If
> the general Emacs bug reporting command were to include the values of
> all existing subsystems, we would get wagonloads of useless
> information.

It may not always be useless...

Actually, it would be sometimes be useful if bug reports contained the
value of all variables with a non-default value.

>               Also, subsystems often have their own bug reporting
> lists and maintainers.

True, but if a package is included with emacs, those maintainers
should follow the emacs bug list anyway.

> However, we should probably encourage some conventions.  I have here:
>
> TeX-submit-bug-report
> c-submit-bug-report
> eshell-report-bug
> gnus-bug
> preview-report-bug
> report-emacs-bug

This just emphasizes my pov -- how does a user know which of those
to use -- or that they exist at all?