Re: Antialiased text on X11

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: Antialiased text on X11
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 21:28:30 +0200

Geoffrey J. Teale wrote:

Hi,

I've just checked out and built this branch a couple of times (once
with Gtk once with LUCID).  In both cases I noticed that there were a
lot of artifacts being left around, in fact it seams that buffers and
mini-buffer are only being redrawn when I resize the emacs window.  If
I don't resize the window everything quickly becomes unreadable.

I assume this is just a result of the current, early state of
development, but just in case I'm the only one experiencing this
problem I though I'd mention it

I don't see that (but other minor redrawing errors). I suspect your version of fontconfig and/or Xrender is different from mine. I'll test this further on older X versions when Emacs has been released. You can try to modify xterm.c here:

#ifdef HAVE_XFT
     if (! (s->for_overlaps_p
            || (s->background_filled_p && s->hl != DRAW_CURSOR)))
       XftDrawRect (s->face->xft_draw,
s->hl == DRAW_CURSOR ? &s->face->xft_fg : &s->face->xft_bg,
                    s->x,
                    s->y,
                    s->width + s->right_overhang,
                    s->height);

Remove the if-statement so the XftDrawRect is always done. That should improve things, but also slow drawing down somewhat.

Thanks for pointing this out,

   Jan D.