Re: Toolbar: Suggestion for improved dired icon.

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Toolbar: Suggestion for improved dired icon.
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 23:43:31 +0100

"Jan D." <address@hidden> writes:

>>>If Jan has an automated script, that's great. In the meantime I did
>>>two new xpm's, a little bit brighter and two sizes bigger than the
>>>first one.  There are screenshots for them as well.
>>>
>>>diropen2.xpm - A bit too big, height 24px.
>>>

>>Actually, I find that ok.
>>

>>>diropen3.xpm - Feels better, height 20px.
>>>

>>The color appears to be off somewhat, inconsistent with other colors.
>>I suggest we wait for Jan to speak up: presumably if he does the
>>conversion with his method, what was consistent in GNOME, should
>>become consistent in Emacs.
>>

> The Gnome icons are consistent because the Gnome people designed them
> that way,

That's what I said.

> I didn't do anything in the conversion.

Ah, but the question is, just _how_ did you convert them?  So that one
can convert this item in the same way.

> The colors of this icon seem to be a bit off compared to the
> standard icons.  I don't have any opinion on this icon, if you feel
> it is better, check it in.

Personally, I definitely find it better than the "d" folder thing.
Even though that is not a hard task.

> Just don't forget to reduce the colors some more, ideally not more
> than hundred.  Otherwise people running on 8 bit displays will run
> out.  When reducing colors, avoid dithering, it looks bad on icons
> this small.  And use the same palette as for the other icons also,
> so the sum of colors Emacs uses doesn't increase (it is on the limit
> for 8 bit displays already).

Did you do the conversion manually, or did you use some special tool
for it?  Actually, this is a stupid question since you probably did
not use pencil and paper.  So what tool did you use, and how?