Re: announcing thaiword.el?

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: announcing thaiword.el?
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 23:26:13 +0100 (CET)

> The explanation is that you're not talking about the same thing.
> Changing the forward-word function is out of the question (it's a
> function used at may places, so changing its behavior has to be done
> extremely carefully).  That's what Richard is talking about.

OK.

> Whereas you're maybe just talking about M-f and M-b, which can be
> changed with something like a thai-word-mode minor mode, to which
> nobody would object.

Hmm, I really think that in a Thai environment the word movement
functions should automatically handle Thai, without special
activation.  In general, a hook into forward-word and friends to
handle scripts which don't use a space for word boundaries is a must
IMHO as soon as we have native Unicode support.

As a compromise I suggest that M-f and M-b are mapped to
thai-forward-word and thai-backward-word, respectively, as soon as we
enter the Thai environment.  This should be a two-liner or so for the
experienced Emacs Lisp hacker (which I'm not, unfortunately).

Any Thai users on the list which actually want to test those
functions?

    Werner