Re: Coding systems and Terminal.app on Mac OS X

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: Coding systems and Terminal.app on Mac OS X
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 15:56:55 +0100

Am 25.03.2005 um 15:01 schrieb Stefan Monnier:

Now, where can we put this info so that users will find it?

Emacs' info file has already a Mac OS entry, it seems to be more related to Mac OS 9 and before. If this would be renamed accordingly and a new node 'Mac OS X' would be opened -- it would take some years until the other nodes will have their references to this one. And some distinction too is needed between using GNU Emacs as stand-alone X11 or Carbon application ... and in Terminal and/or xterm?

Carbon Emacs has different fontsets. You can drag&drop files on it -- but when you copy with M-w a region you can't paste it into another Aqua/Quartz application -- at least I can't! The same is true in the other direction -- M-w only seems to add entries into the kill-ring-buffer which is accessible under the Edit menu. You can't mark (hi-light) text by dragging the mouse -- well, the new background colour comes, but a beep too!

Since you have a Mac around try this Carbon Emacs 21.3.50 from CVS with some Japanese extras and interesting developments:

        http://home.att.ne.jp/alpha/z123/emacs-mac-e.html

In December YAMAMOTO-san has introduced some new font handling: http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2004-12/msg00004.html -- but I still can't see it with better ISO Latin-1/15 or UTF-8 support, it just allows to scale an OTF or TTF font in the system without having to use the limited embedded bitmaps. After Easter I might find some time to investigate this ...

--
Greetings

  Pete