Re: Popup problems with GTK

From: Stephan Stahl
Subject: Re: Popup problems with GTK
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 20:29:59 +0100 (CET)

Hi Jan.

Jan D. said:
> This must be one of the most annoying features I've seen, and poorly
> implemented at that.  I can't imagine any Emacs user wanting this, Every
> Ctrl-press starts the animation, and there are a lot of ctrl-pressing
> going on in Emacs.  I've checked in a fix so that Emacs does not hang,

It's not that bad.  The animation does start on Ctrl-release and only when
no other key was pressed between Ctrl-press and Ctrl-release..  Try Ctrl-down,
shift-down,up and Ctrl-up -> no animation.  (Gnome 2.8)

>>When i disable this Ctrl Highlighting or compile emacs without gtk the
>>popup does just work..
>
> Not entirely true, you do get this for Motif based applications:
[..]
> The option grabs the ctrl key and when GTK can't get that grab, it
> silently refuses to pop up the menu.

Oh, you are right.  I just tried to omit the --with-gtk part and without
this the popup's toplevel entries work for me.  Choosing  a buffer after
C-mouse-1 did work, some submenu ala C-mouse-3 did not work.  Strange
thing..  I'll try your patch and report back..

Thanks,
Stephan
--
Stephan Stahl