RE: Todays exercise of sanity (or does "see" really match "not"?)

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Todays exercise of sanity (or does "see" really match "not"?)
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 13:44:55 -0800

       > > `*Note' is a special tag, not part of the text.

    > `*Note' _is_ a part of the text.

There are obviously different ways of looking at this, and the issue is not
just one of terminology (what we decide to call "text" or "content").

Perhaps we can agree that some people and some programs will likely want to
treat such stuff as part of the "text/content/data" and others will want to
ignore it as part of the "text/content" and treat it instead as
"tags"/"metadata". It will always be true that one person's data is another
person's metadata.

The analogy with markup is useful, even if it is true that 1) the mechanism
used in Info is not exactly markup and 2) at least some of these "tags"
(e.g. "Note") are visible in the Info text.

Perhaps we can also agree that we should not try to change anything about
this now, at least not in any fundamental way.

And perhaps we can also agree that it might be good to look, later, at the
possibility of letting users/programs have their cake and eat it too: be
able to treat such "tags" as data or metadata, au choix.