Re: file-name-shadow-mode

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: file-name-shadow-mode
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 12:24:58 -0600 (CST)

Richard Stallman wrote:

       [I think it's probably possible to fix this -- e.g., by generating a
       regexp of all non-absolute environment variables and glomming it onto
       the rexexp used for filenames.  But my basic point is that it scarcely
       matters.]

   Could you try fixing it that way?

It would probably be a lot better to do the complement: look for all
environment variables whose value starts with / or ~.  Emacs supports
file names that start with $ if the $ is not followed by an
environment variable, or if the $ is doubled up.  I may be overlooking
something obvious, but is therE a reason not to use `getenv'?

Sincerely,

Luc.