Re: shell can't stand still

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: shell can't stand still
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 02:31:04 +0100

Am 20.03.2005 um 01:21 schrieb Richard Stallman:

When in the *shell* buffer a running command produces output it's quite
    impossible to scroll back using the page-up key. It seems as if the
    last output lines are being subtracted from the amount of lines to
    scroll up ...

In GNU Emacs 22.0.50.1 (powerpc-apple-darwin7.8.0, GTK+ Version 2.4.9)
      of 2005-03-16 on Latsche.local

That really surprises me.  Once point is no longer at eob, it should
stop moving.

Can you provide a precise test case, starting from emacs -Q?

Yes, here is an easy example: start CVS Emacs with -Q, create a shell, and make a new Emacs from CVS!

I did so. I waited till make's output hit the bottom and automatic scrolling started since the cursor was kind of driven by the text output and then I scrolled back with <prior> which is bound to scroll-down. Text was scrolled down and the text cursor was placed on the first (top-most) line in the first column. Then the text was by some automatic means scrolled up, which made me scroll it down again and so on. I could see that I came back to the place I left since it had short lines

        xrdb.c:92:1: warning: "malloc" redefined
        In file included from config.h:941,
                         from xrdb.c:24:
s/darwin.h:334:1: warning: this is the location of the previous definition
        xrdb.c:93:1: warning: "realloc" redefined
s/darwin.h:335:1: warning: this is the location of the previous definition
        xrdb.c:94:1: warning: "free" redefined
s/darwin.h:336:1: warning: this is the location of the previous definition gcc -I/sw/include -L/sw/lib -c -fpascal-strings -fno-common -DMAC_OSX -I../mac/src -I/sw/include -Demacs -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DUSE

It was a ping-pong game between two positions. I too scrolled text up by pressing <next> and the same effect happened: the text was scrolled back, down. Repeatedly. Some of these scroll effects were a bit short so that the region of short lines changed its position in the buffer upwards.

And there is another anomaly (close to a bug): I wanted by means of the mouse (a trackpad actually, that is made by a software to work like a mouse wheel when I hold down a key) to mark that region of short lines. It did not work, because this marked up region scrolled up and down by some single lines and it was quite hard to catch these movements. I gave up when I only had one long line marked.

Something similiar to this happens when I mark a region and now come close to the upper or lower ends of the buffer. Then the text scrolls away, but much to fast so that I can't make a reasonable selection.

In usual Aqua applications of Mac OS X the scrolling effect is not as big as wish, while in X it often seems to exaggerate. xset tells me this:

Pointer Control:
  acceleration:  2/1    threshold:  4

which I can't classify since I don't remember what I else had ...

Since the compilation just ended I scrolled with my trackpad to the end. At about 60% from top was the shell prompt. When I hit RET the text 'jumped' to the bottom of this buffer. Is this normal? To me it makes no sense to position the new shell prompt at the bottom -- some text output from the launched application could happen and I wouldn't see it!

--
Greetings

  Pete

In a world without walls and fences, who needs gates and windows?