Re: Key binding M-g should really be goto-line

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Key binding M-g should really be goto-line
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 08:28:02 +0200

address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:
> One command I use quite often is "find-file-and-line-near-point"
> which takes something like FILE:LINE "near" the cursor and jumps to
> LINE in FILE.

This is what `goto-line' is supposed to do.  Since it was already
completely modified recently with the complex logic of getting
a line number from the buffer and jumping to the most recently
displayed other buffer, why not modify it further to get a file
name from the buffer (before colon and the line number) and to
visit it before moving to the specified line number.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/