Re: isearch-forward and Info-search

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: isearch-forward and Info-search
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 08:29:59 +0200

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:
> I think it would be a lot less annoying if it at least changed the
> prompt to say what it was doing, in the manner of a wrapped isearch
> ("I-search in node ...: " ?).
>
> Maybe it could even act more like wrapped i-search, and fail once,
> before proceeding to the next info page if you hit C-s again.

It seems this is the most reasonable default behavior.
But I also think it would be too annoying to fail before
leaving every Info node.  It would be better to fail only
in the first Info node where isearch was started.  Of course,
this doesn't preclude creating at least four different options
for the `Info-isearch-search' variable:

- never fail (current behavior)
- fail only in the node where isearch was started (proposed default)
- fail in every node visited by isearch (somebody may like this)
- fail and wrap to the beginning of the current node (old behavior)

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/