Re: Key binding M-g should really be goto-line

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Key binding M-g should really be goto-line
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 23:34:54 +0100

Romain Francoise <address@hidden> writes:

> Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> M-g could display a message:
>
>> Go to: line, M-g = line, char, file, next error, prev error, Other...
>
>> and have a keymap with the following key bindings:
>
>> M-g M-g   - goto-line
>> M-g l     - goto-line
>> M-g c     - goto-char
>> M-g f     - dired-goto-file
>> M-g n     - next-error (goto-next-locus)
>> M-g M-n   - next-error (goto-next-locus)
>> M-g p     - previous-error
>> M-g M-p   - previous-error
>
> This is a very good idea.

I am afraid that I have a hard time not to agree after thinking it
over.

> However, Dired users are probably used to M-g not being a prefix key
> since it's been bound to dired-goto-file in Dired-X for as long as I
> can remember (more than 11 years, says CVS).

Well, one could put M-g M-g on that in dired mode, but have M-g M-g
mean goto-line in most other modes.

It seems absurd to have dired-goto-file as a global binding.

> That being said, I'm very much in favor of this change--especially
> the bindings you suggest for next-error and previous-error.

Well, yes.  It makes just too much sense to throw the idea out the
door.