Re: English usage bug in bytecomp.el

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: English usage bug in bytecomp.el
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 07:15:25 +0900

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 08:08:21 -0800, Bill Wohler <address@hidden> wrote:
> > However, a variant which might be even clearer, and maybe less
> > objectionable would be "FOO is an obsolete function (since 21.4)".
>
> That's not too bad, although I prefer the "has been" variant. Here is
> yet another using a fairly simple past tense with a word that might
> not be known to non-programmers:

The thing is that the version where it was made past tense really
isn't that important, but people seem to be focusing on it.

I think David's suggestion of "as of" is good, though I think better
as a simple replacement for "since" than at the front:

   FOO is an obsolete function (as of 21.4)

[Maybe it really ought to say "emacs version 21.4" but I assume it's
also good to keep the message short so it doesn't wrap.]

-Miles
--
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.