Re: Bug 130397

From: Ken Stevens
Subject: Re: Bug 130397
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2005 12:29:00 -0800

Agustin Martin writes:

> *Ken*, since you are being cc'ed I vaguely remembered some info I somewhere
> read about this misalignements. I finally found it,
>
>  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2002-09/msg01007.html
>
> Essentially seems to be suggested that ispell-word (as well as flyspell)
> does not show the misalignment problems because of the way words are passed
> to ispell, while ispell-region (and so ispell-buffer) does. I have tested
> that in an ad-hoc file, ispell-buffer gives the misalignement error
> while flyspell-buffer not. The suggestion is that making ispell-region iterate
> over words intead of over lines this could be fixed. Do you think this would
> help to get rid of the misalignements, or there are other drawbacks I am not
> aware of? I did not see any reply to that mail.

Yes.  When the dictionary and the database match, iterating over valid
character sequences that making up potential words rather than regions
(such as a line) should eliminate these errors.

There are two drawbacks - I suspect performance would be degraded by the
increased process communication.  I could run some tests to see how much
that would be the case on systems I use, though I assume it could vary
substantially over different OSes.  The second is that this is a fairly
fundamental change that would require some considerable coding effort -
which is probably the biggest issue.  Someone needs to kick me to make
it happen.  I apologize that I have been very busy lately and this has
fallen off my list.

regards         -Ken