VM and find-face

From: Stephen Eglen
Subject: VM and find-face
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 15:49:38 +0000

Hi,

VM 7.17 no longer works with the CVS version of Emacs, I think due to
the introduction yesterday of find-face into find-func.el.  VM has the
following code:

(if (if (fboundp 'find-face)
                (find-face 'vm-monochrome-image)
              (facep 'vm-monochrome-image))
            nil
          (make-face 'vm-monochrome-image)
          (set-face-background 'vm-monochrome-image "white")
          (set-face-foreground 'vm-monochrome-image "black"))

In todays's CVS emacs, with its newly defined find-face defun, I get
the backtrace:

  signal(error ("Don't know where `vm-monochrome-image' is defined"))
  error("Don't know where `%s' is defined" vm-monochrome-image)
  find-function-search-for-symbol(vm-monochrome-image defface nil)
  find-definition-noselect(vm-monochrome-image defface)
  find-function-do-it(vm-monochrome-image defface switch-to-buffer)
  find-face(vm-monochrome-image)

One problem is that find-face behaves differently on Emacs and XEmacs;
find-face returns nil on the above call if the face could not be
found.

What's the best way to proceed - update VM or allow find-face to
return nil?

Stephen