Re: finger-pointer curser as default for mouse-face text

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: finger-pointer curser as default for mouse-face text
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 09:35:09 +0200

Kai Grossjohann <address@hidden> writes:

> Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Adding a message saying "please keep the button pressed longer if you want
>> to follow the link" is really not much better than adding a message that
>> says "use mouse-2 if you want to follow the link".
>
> Both Microsoft Windows and Apple MacOS (including X, I guess) allow
> you to keep the button pressed a little longer to rename, instead of
> select, a file.
>
> So the "keep it pressed longer" action is a known one.
>
> Keeping the button pressed longer to edit the text where the link is
> seems natural.  I like this idea.

It would appear that the shorter duration click here is the one that
does the "simpler" action, namely selection, whereas the longer click
does the action with more effect.  Also the shorter click does the
action that does not need to be undone if you don't like it.

Anyway: if we really try modelling ourselves after other systems: in
file managers and the like, one usually selects a single item (and
placed point) by a single click, and executes it by a double click.

I think that nobody will complain if a double click on a link will
cause it to execute instead of marking a word or line.  It is indeed
rare that you need to mark a work from inside a link; and if you do,
you can do it by normal dragging marking without much additional
hassle.