Re: finger-pointer curser as default for mouse-face text

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: finger-pointer curser as default for mouse-face text
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 17:45:28 -0400

> What about using keyboard modifiers with mouse-1 on an active area (link,
> button) to do what mouse-1 would normally do on an inactive area (e.g.
> mouse-drag-region)?

> The following are not defined by default, at least in most Emacs modes:
> C-M-mouse-1, C-S-mouse-1, M-S-mouse-1.

I think the effort required to remember such bindings, coupled with the fact
that they'd only be used on relatively rare occasions, makes me think it's
a bad idea.
Especially since in all likely hood, after setting point in the middle of
a button, you're going to do something with the keyboard rather than with
the mouse, which makes me think that using the keyboard to move to that spot
would work just as well.

        Stefan