Re: Xfree86 and the Meta key (+patch)

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Xfree86 and the Meta key (+patch)
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2004 14:05:35 -0400

    > I don't know what Xorg is.  Does Xorg have the same licence change
    > that XFree86 has?  All else being equal, we would prefer to recommend
    > releases which don't have that license change.

    Xorg is a fork of the Xfree86 tree which does not have licensing problems.
    It is maintained by freedesktop.org. Everyone is going in this direction.

In that case, we do care about it.

Why did they make the change?  Is it a clear improvement, in general?
In other words, should we ask them to revert it, or should we accept
it as an improvement in X?