Re: Grep and font-lock

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Grep and font-lock
Date: 25 Apr 2004 21:18:08 +0200

Simon Josefsson <address@hidden> writes:

> >     That being said, I think we should change the default of
> >     font-lock to "on": new users consider it a great and helpful
> >     feature and are used to getting it from their editors and on
> >     relying on this sort of syntax analysis.
> >
> > Maybe you are right.  What do others think?
>
> I think so too.  What would a reason for not enabling it by default
> be?

Disabled persons might not be able to see enough to disable the
default setting again.  I think we already discussed this at one time,
and one proposal was to have a -bw option that would switch faces to
just foreground color and background color, preferably maybe even
choosing different font shapes instead of font colors.

The discussion tapered off at some time.  Even if we don't implement
the full last proposal (which about everyone agreed would be nice to
have), we should perhaps at least provide a basic -bw switch that
would cooperate with -reversevideo (or what it was called): quite a
few of people with sight disabilities use white on black.