Re: Info enhancements

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Info enhancements
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2003 07:27:42 +0200

Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden> writes:
> If you click on the ` of the address@hidden': reference you indeed go
> there, but clicking elsewhere on the reference produces an error.

It was caused by an incomplete regexp for references.  I will post
a fix in the next version of the full patch to info.el.

> Your patch still seems to try to guess places in the node when one
> follows cross-references.

No, this is not related to guessing places in the node.

> I believe that it would be better to give up on that, since it would
> use the second or third argument to @xref and friends in a way that
> was not intended.

I still think this is a useful feature.  And currently it works
exactly as the standalone Info reader does.  But we could add an
option for users willing to disable this feature.

> I believe it is OK in index menus.

But even going from index menus it sometimes misses the right place.
After adding information about positions of index entries to Info
files it would work better than guessing.

--
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/