Re: test-completion and hash-tables

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: test-completion and hash-tables
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 22:23:35 -0600 (CST)

>From my previous message:

   Which of the following possibilities applies?

   1.  This is a bug.

   2.  `test-completion' is only supposed to be used on the results of
       calling either `try-completion' or `all-completions'.  In all
       cases where I saw `test-completion' being used, this was the case.
       If so, there is no inconsistency, as even `eq' hash-tables will
       work.

   3.  It is the job of the programmer passing the hash table to
       `test-completion' to make sure that the hash-table uses the correct
       test, that is, the version of compare-strings that is consistent
       with `completion-ignore-case'.

I just checked that `completing-read' actually does behave differently
for hash tables and ignores `completion-ignore-case', for exact but
not unique completions.  So, even if (2) would be a correct
assumption, we _still_ would _also_ have either (1) or (3).

Sincerely,

Luc.