Re: Info enhancements

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Info enhancements
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2003 17:57:31 +0200

address@hidden (Karl Berry) writes:
>          This function looks up the target in *Note
>          file-coding-system-alist: Default Coding Systems, *Note
>          process-coding-system-alist: Default Coding Systems, or
>          *Note network-coding-system-alist: Default Coding Systems,
>          depending on OPERATION.
>
>     These cross-references refer to variables indexed by the @vindex
>     command, but there is no place for line numbers here.
>
> What is the Texinfo source that is generating this?  Texinfo does not
> have a way to make an xref to index entries, as far as I know.

This is generated by the address@hidden' with two arguments:

     @ref{Default Coding Systems, file-coding-system-alist}

True, the `file-coding-system-alist' is the cross reference name here.
But  it can  be  used to  find  the correct  position  of index  entry
definition.   The  standalone  Info  reader  already  uses  the  cross
reference name  to move point to  its first occurrence  within an Info
node, but this could be improved to search the cross reference name in
the  tag table  of index  entries with  their positions  and  use this
information  for more  accurate navigation  by cross  references.

Another variant is to generate Ref: tags in the tag table for every
index entry and use them as anchors, for instance:

     @ref{file-coding-system-alist}

would move directly to the position where the address@hidden' command was
defined in the Texinfo source.

--