Re: Are there plans for a multi-threaded Emacs?

From: Benjamin Riefenstahl
Subject: Re: Are there plans for a multi-threaded Emacs?
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2003 14:56:14 +0100

Hi Ted,

Just an immediate reaction to your examples:

Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:
> font-locking a buffer;

Isn't font-locking done in parallel (in a cooperative manner) already
with lazy-lock?

> reading or writing a file.

Reading, yes, but writing, I'm not so sure.  I think usually I want to
be sure that a file is completely written, before I start some other
action.

Also I'm sure that both reading and writing can be done asynchronously
without having all of Emacs being multi-threaded.  Even if you don't
have support from the OS this can be implemented with cooperative
means, just reading/writing reasonable chunks during idle time.

benny