Re: Changes to Texinfo DTD

From: Oliver Scholz
Subject: Re: Changes to Texinfo DTD
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2003 10:39:27 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 20:54:45 -0600 (CST)
>> From: Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden>
[...]
> IMHO, to make this discussion useful, it needs to be conducted on a
> Texinfo forum first and foremost.  This is mostly because the
> following item:
>
>> 3. Oliver Scholz has a patch to allow the standalone reader to convert
>>    XML to Info format "on the fly", so people would only need to have
>>    the XML files installed to use both Emacs Info and standalone Info.
>>    Oliver's patch would add some "color" to standalone Info.  (Unless
>>    these colors would be very customizable, or maybe even if they are,
>>    please provide a command line option to disable this.  Not
>>    everybody can read yellow on white, cyan on white or red on black.)
>
> is related to the stand-alone reader, not to Emacs (for which no
> equivalent changes are available).
>
> Personally, I think that a move to XML is a good idea, but such a
> transition would take a non-trivial period of time, during which we
> will need to support installations where some or all of the manuals
> are in Info format.

Now that you mention it ... It is probably a better idea to implement
the feature in Emacs first.

So people who want it can put XML files into their /usr/local/info
directories on their single-user machines and gain experiences with
it. If it works as advertised, then my proposed compatibility feature
could be added to standalone info afterwards. Maybe this is a more
sensible road-map.

[For testing this extensively, it would be nice if "makeinfo
my-texinfo-source.texi" would produce XML instead of info format,
dependend on the value of some environment variable. Most of my local
info files have been generated by makefiles.]

    Oliver
--
Oliver Scholz               14 Frimaire an 212 de la Révolution
Taunusstr. 25               Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité!