Re: Info enhancements

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Info enhancements
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 21:34:58 -0600 (CST)

I have not yet had the time to look at your patch in detail.  I just
looked at one feature:

   - use reference names to move point to the place within the current
     node where reference name is defined.  For example, by following the
     reference "*Note file-coding-system-alist: Default Coding Systems,"
     Info finds a node with the name "Default Coding Systems" and moves
     point to the line where reference name "file-coding-system-alist" is
     defined.

I applied your patch.  I replaced the @xref{Default Coding Systems}
in nonascii.texi you are referring to by
@xref{Default Coding Systems, file-coding-system-alist}.

Then I launch info, go to (elisp)Default Coding Systems and click on
that reference.  It indeed carries me to the intended place.  But the
header-line goes blank.  `u' sometimes, but not always makes the
header-line go blank: C-h i m elisp RET m non- RET m text re RET u
Blank header line.  In general, it seems pretty easy to get a blank
header line.  This happens regardless of the value of
Info-hide-note-references.

As an other remark on the feature, it needs help from the .texi source
file.  So either other Info readers will have to adapt to the feature,
or the references in the .texi files will have to be written in such a
way that they look reasonable even in Info readers that do not have your
feature.  (These Info readers behave like the Emacs Info reader with
Info-hide-note-references  set to nil.)  Maybe the latter is no
problem, because "*Note file-coding-system-alist: Default Coding Systems."
makes sense to me, even without your feature.

Sincerely,

Luc.