Re: (elisp)Numbers

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: (elisp)Numbers
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 05:25:37 -0400

    2.  In (elisp)Math Functions, it is said that asin, acos, log, log10
        and sqrt all return NaN values for out-of-range arguments, but, on
        my machine, only `sqrt' does.  The others throw an error, see the
        IELM run below.

I get the same results.  I figured out why.  I'm using an x86.  Facos
calls acos, but in Fsqrt the call to sqrt gets open-coded using the
fsqrt instruction.  fsqrt doesn't set errno as it is expected to.
Perhaps that is a GCC bug.

I have GCC 2.95.4, which is rather old.  Can anyone else try this
with the latest GCC, so we can see if the bug still exists?