Re: Info mutilates user overlays.

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Info mutilates user overlays.
Date: 01 Oct 2003 16:00:48 -0400

> Actually, in the position register case, there are _two_ problems.
> First of all, the position register can really get moved, just like
> the overlay, but secondly, even if not, it would only be usable while
> one was in the particular node, due to narrowing.  Position registers

Position-registers and bookmarks should be made to work in such cases
as well.  I think a somewhat unified approach (also unified with the
help-xref-stack) would be welcome.
When I say unified, I mean at the implementation level.  Every "view"
such as an info-node, a help item, an email, ... should set
a `here-is-how-to-find-me-back' variable (that variable is called
`help-xref-stack-item' in help-mode).

        Stefan