extensions for emacsclient (CVS version)

From: Andreas Büsching
Subject: extensions for emacsclient (CVS version)
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 10:26:04 +0200

Hi,

I've posted a similar article to the newsgroup comp.emacs, but did not
get an answer, so I thought I'll try it here.

,----
| I'm working on a little script, which uses the server functionality of
| emacs. The old version of this script used the gnuserv/gnudoit tools
| for the communication. The current CVS version of emacs contains a more
| advanced emacsclient and uses a different (IMHO much better) technique
| for the server communication. To use emacsclient in my script I would
| really like to have two new features in emacsclient.
|
| - Using standard input: when no filename or '-' is specified standard
|   input is read.
| - --socket-name: With this option the default UNIX socket filename can
|   be overwritten to be able to have more than one socket per host.
|
| If I would know that there is any chance that these features would get
| into CVS I would supply a patch myself.
|
| RFC
`----

After a short period of time I couldn't hold it back, so I posted the
following

,----
| Okay I couldn't wait, so here is the first patch enabling emacsclient
| to use a different socket filename.
`----

So please I just want any answer: Yes or No or 'bad idea' or whatever.

thanks in advance. Could you please send a direct reply to me, because
I didn't subscribe to the list.

crunchy

--
Sogar Shakespeare kannte also das "Werk" Windows schon, nur unter dem
Namen "Comedy of Errors".