Re: Sesquicolon -- Note: Not a Bug

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Sesquicolon -- Note: Not a Bug
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 18:08:11 -0400

> > It was suggested that just -batch with no other arguments
> > could do this.
>
> The '#!' mechanism would not result in -batch with no other arguments.
> The file name of the script is added to the end of the command line.

Sure, that's what was meant.  `emacs -batch <file> would execute the
file in batch mode.

> Why do you need to reuse the "-batch" name?

Why not ?

> Can't it just be a new name, like "--batch-script"?

We could do that as well.  Note that some systems have a limit of 32 chars
past which the #! things are ignored: your suggestion takes 14 chars,
which doesn't leave much to the "path to emacs plus space".  The reuse
of --batch (and thus -b as well) is preferable from that point of view.
But of course, we could also use -B or whatever else we may fancy.

        Stefan