Re: tramp again

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: tramp again
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 17:00:03 +0000 (UTC)

   > However, the following:
   >
   >     (find-file
   >      "/multi:ssh:address@hidden:ssh:address@hidden:/home/bob" nil)
   >
   > `worked but with a problem':  tramp visited both both a multi-hop
   > remote file that I did not seek, ...

   Fascinating.  I have never heard of this behavior.

I figured out what happened.  I don't know whether to call this a
self-generated problem or a user-interface problem.  Probably, it is
best to call it a self-generated problem caused by typing a RET ahead
of time and not realizing that I did that.

I redid the find-file, but this time typed my (rather complicated)
second password correctly and the directory came up properly.

In the earlier attempt, I typed the password to 192.168.2.48 twice
erroneously before succeeding the third time.  What I think now is
that after I typed the password the last time, I also typed an extra
carriage return.  This carriage return was then saved for the 29
seconds that passed before the directory got listed, at which point
the extra carriage return evoked the `dired-advertised-find-file'
command on the ~bob/.alias file.

I can reproduce the problem by typing a second carriage return
immediately after I type the second password.  I can also reproduce
the problem by typing an `e' or an `f' immediately after typing the
RET for my password.

I think this is my problem, not an interface problem:  type-ahead
should occur.  Perhaps it would be a good idea to remind people about
type-ahead in the documentation, if it is not described already.

In this case, I did not realize I had typed ahead. (All I remember of
that attempt is that I made many mistakes when I typed that password;
however, since I can reproduce the problem with a typed-ahead RET,
`e', or `f', I assume that is what I did.)

--
    Robert J. Chassell            address@hidden  address@hidden
    Rattlesnake Enterprises       http://www.rattlesnake.com