Re: comint read-only prompt

From: Noah Friedman
Subject: Re: comint read-only prompt
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 17:23:57 -0700 (PDT)

I fail to understand why you want to mess with read-only properties in
comint buffers at all, especially with regard to the prompt.

There is already a perfectly good method for avoiding accidentally backing
into the prompt while editing, and that is binding C-cC-a to
comint-bol-or-process-mark (which is what it used to be bound to, years
ago), and if you are so inclined you can bind a function to
pre-command-hook to move point past the prompt (or even past the process
mark) if you try to edit a prompt.  But really, if you mess up the prompt,
so what?  In the decade+ that I've been using shell mode, this has never
once been an issue.  But I do find excessive use of read-only properties on
regular text immensely frustrating when I am trying to do something out of
the ordinary.