Re: Strange `file-name-sans-extension' behavior

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Strange `file-name-sans-extension' behavior
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 19:51:40 +0300

> Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 17:14:22 -0600 (MDT)
> From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
>
>     It means that to produce a full file name from a relative directory
>     "c:" and a relative file name "bar", a function should yield
>     "c:./bar".
>
> Is this really relevant to file-name-sans-extension?

Perhaps not, I admit that I don't fully understand the precise
context of this discussion.

I was replying to the question whether `concat' is a universally
correct way of constructing file names from a directory name and a
file name.

> The directory it uses is the one that was in the argument file name.
> If it was valid there, it should be equally valid in the result.
> If it is not valid in the result, I guess it was not valid in
> the argument.

The problem is the slash you append to the directory if it doesn't
end in a slash.