Re: scroll-bar-toolkit-scroll

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: scroll-bar-toolkit-scroll
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 13:14:48 -0400

> When you build Emacs with LessTif, does grabbing the slider work as it
> ought to?  Does the buffer redisplay in a new position each time you
> move the slider a little up or down?

Yes.

> What is the user-level intended Emacs scrolling behavior with Xaw3d?
> Is it supposed to be compatible with the Emacs non-toolkit scroll bars?

More or less.  Although it's less configurable from
elisp since more of the behavior is implemented in C (more specifically
in the toolkit code).

It should also be compatible with "the way these scrollbars work in
the given toolkit used".  So if you use Lesstif (or Xaw3d with arrows),
the bindings are not the same as the ones for non-toolkit Emacs (e.g.
mouse-3 does not scroll back).

> If so, is that the best specification, is that what we should support?

I don't think so, because in many cases making the scrollbar work
like non-toolkit Emacs (rather than the "native" behavior of the
toolkit) is difficult and I'm not sure it would be what users want.

        Stefan